Correct Aggressiveness in Dogs
The aggression in dogs is somewhat normal because they are prepared to live animals in herds where there is a hierarchy in which the animals are struggling to keep his job.
But, sometimes, this personality trait breaks out and gives rise to a dog that can be dangerous, for itself, for other animals and, more importantly, for people.
If your dog has this problem, take note of the advice we will see in this article.
Reasons for aggressiveness in dogs
Experts point out two main reasons why the dog may become too aggressive :
- Fear of losing your dominant position. Both with other animals and with people. It can happen with their owners if they think they try to dominate them, but also with strangers.
For example, if a stranger tries to invade his territory, the dog will want to protect what he considers his, including people.
- Fear of being hurt. On other occasions, what the animal will fear is that someone tries to do some kind of harm. Sometimes fear manifests it by pulling back the ears and other times it does not make any gesture to stop it.
Keep in mind that both one fear and another can be founded or not. In many cases, animals feel threatened by their owners, or their relatives and friends.
For this reason, it can never be ruled out that dogs with aggression harm people who, although they usually interact with it, at some points perceive that they are a threat to him.
Tips to correct aggressiveness in dogs
- Act quickly. Aggression in dogs is not a matter we can take lightly. Depending on the size of the animal they can lead to things happening that we will later regret. So that it does not happen, act quickly and take action. One that can be very useful for you is to look for a good trainer since they use special techniques that help end the aggressiveness of our dog.
- Do not stress. While you re-educate the animal it is essential that you do not expose yourself to situations that cause you nervousness. Surely you better than anyone was able to discern what alters your pet, it can be noise, children or even other dogs. Take action so you don’t lose control.
- Origin of aggressiveness. Sometimes aggression in dogs has an origin that, once we identify it, it will be possible to eliminate it and therefore correct the problem. For example, the animal could be suffering from some kind of illness that causes pain or discomfort and its way of expressing what happens is through aggressive behavior. For this reason, it would be convenient that, as soon as we notice that behavior, we visit your veterinarian so that you can assess the situation.
- Sterilization. In many cases, it will be convenient to castrate the animal in order to correct the problem. In cases where the need to satisfy your sexual desires leads you to aggressive behaviors can be a good measure of performance. Of course, it is your veterinarian who can best assess the situation and consider whether it is the best option.
- Aggression produces aggressiveness. There are owners who think that the best way to control aggressiveness in dogs is through corporal punishment. Big mistake, violence always generates violence, so if we use this method what we are going to achieve is that the problem grows.
- Negotiation. It is clear that in the relationship with the pets we send, which does not take away so that we take into account that we deal with animals. So when, for example, take something that does not belong to you but with what establishes an attachment relationship, do not remove it without more. It is better to exchange it for something that is also attractive. In this way, we may reduce aggressiveness in dogs.
- Watch out for the games. Sometimes it happens that there are owners who complain about the behavior of their dogs when it is they who are waking up aggression in dogs. This can be done through certain games that encourage their bad actions, so it is best to avoid them.
- Caution. Aggression in dogs can be corrected, but the most important thing is that as long as they continue to manifest this type of behavior, we avoid exposing them to risk situations where they can cause damage.
So be very careful especially with children, not only because they can make our pet nervous, but especially because they are the most valuable thing we have.
Having an aggressive animal can be very desperate, but before taking other measures, try to correct the problem. With patience and professional help, you’re sure to get it.